Monday, January 19, 2015

No Provider Schema

Scenario:  You have a SharePoint 2013 list and have just created a custom New/Edit/Display form and you want to connect a couple of webparts together but SharePoint is reporting a "No Provider Schema" error.  Ok, what is that?  How do I fix it?  You spend several hours searching for an answer, most of which do not apply or are useless.  Finally you stumble upon this post.  I hope it helps.

I compared an out of the box form with connected webparts with a custom form to see the difference.  I noticed two lines of code encapsulating the webpart connections so I decided to copy just those lines (omitting the connections since they will not apply on the custom form) and pasted them into the new form, inside the table and just before SPDataSource if you have one.  Example below.  Code in question is highlighted.

</SharePoint:UIVersionedContent>
 <table class="ms-core-tableNoSpace" id="onetIDListForm">
  <tr>
   <td>
  
     <WebPartPages:SPProxyWebPartManager runat="server" ID="__ProxyWebPartManagerForConnections__">
  <SPWebPartConnections></SPWebPartConnections></WebPartPages:SPProxyWebPartManager>

  
   <WebPartPages:DataFormWebPart runat="server" ......

Once the code was in place, I was able to use the SharePoint web interface to connect webparts together.  I was also able to use SharePoint Designer to do the same.

Correction, I was only able to establish the connection between webparts using SharePoint Designer.  The web interface still reported "No Provider Schema" error.  Hmm...

This solution has only been tested with SharePoint 2013.  I assume it would be the same for 2010 however I cannot guess about 2007.

1 comment:

  1. Can you please elaborate a little?? What was the relation between your lists? was there a lookup column to connect two lists ? Where should I put the code? Since those are just WebPArt tags.

    ReplyDelete